Sweden has a well-established and competitive ice hockey league system that includes several tiers, The top professional league is the Swedish Hockey League (Svenska hockeyligan or SHL). Besides that, there are several divisions leagues.
Generally speaking, there are 3 tiers in Sweden Men’s Hockey leagues. Other leagues under tier 3 are organized regionally. Below is a brief introduction of ice hockey leagues in Sweden.
Swedish Hockey League (SHL)
- The SHL is the premier professional ice hockey league in Sweden.
- It consists of 14 teams.
- The league is known for its high level of competition and has produced many talented players who have gone on to successful careers in the NHL and other top leagues.
- There are 14 teams play in Hockey Allsvenskan.
- HockeyAllsvenskan is the second-highest professional league in Sweden.
- It serves as a stepping stone for teams aspiring to move up to the SHL.
- The league also features competitive play, and the top teams may earn promotion to the SHL.
HockeyEttan- Division 1
- Division 1 is the third tier of ice hockey in Sweden.
- 48 teams total in Division 1, and divided into 4 groups.
- It is further divided into regional groups, and teams compete for promotion to HockeyAllsvenskan.
- Division 1 provides opportunities for players to develop their skills and for teams to progress within the Swedish hockey structure.
Other leagues under tier 3 are organized regionally, including youth leagues and amateur leagues.